OWL2pe, elfOWL data
(c) 2003 EME
price: USD$185 for the OWL2pe core, qty 1
Data logger built around the BASIC Stamp 2pe, includes
analog and digital i/o, battery backed real time clock, power
supplies, 512k memory for data logging, and protection for the
pins. The core OWL2pe can be used either on its own, or as the
module to plug into a larger terminal board.
- Photo, OWL core module, top view. The BS2pe is the 48 pin chip up
to the left of center.
- 52 pin module on 2" x 1.5" board, surface mount technology
- all parts rated -40 to +85 degrees Celsius industrial
- surface mount board manufactured in ISO 9002 facility
- fits in a standard enclosure, NEMA 4 weatherproof, 2" x
2.5" x 1.25"
- terminals "breakout" boards are available with Phoenix
- standard with 0.1" low profile header
- BASIC Stamp 2pe-40 built in, with all the latest commands
- 20 digital multifunction I/O direct from Stamp available
for user applications
- Stamp mainio, P0 to P15, all available.
- Stamp auxio X0 to X3
- On-OWL peripherals use auxio x4 to x15.
- +9 channels of analog-to-digital conversion on external
- precision 0.05%, 4.096 volt reference.
- 12 bits, TLC2543, 1 millivolt per bit
- +2 internal analog to digital channels
- monitor power supply voltage, Vin
- monitor on-board system temperature, -25 to +85 Celsius
- I/O protected by 330 ohm resistors from miswiring and short
- RS232 system interface
- just like a standard BASIC Stamp, addressed as P16
- also used as programming port, just like any other
- Built-in attention capacitor.
- 512kbytes (1/2 megabyte) of logging memory
- Atmel AT45DB041 dataflash for almost unlimited storage
- 2048 pages of 264 bytes per page.
- holds memory without battery power.
- 50000 writes per page endurance.
- includes 528 bytes RAM memory buffer available to Stamp
- Real time clock with memory
- DS1307 keeps accurate time from seconds to years
- lithium cell backup, included, keeps clock running for
10 years even when the main power is disconnected,
automatic power switching.
- 56 bytes of battery backed RAM for system pointers and
- On board temperature measurement can be used for
software error correction.
- Accurate 1 second or 32khz heartbeat pulse is available
to the BASIC Stamp for calibration or special purposes
using the POLLWAIT commands.
- Power supplies
- 5 volts constant at 200 ma, low dropout LT1521-5
- variable voltage (standard 5.5 volts, option 5 to 12
volts/200 ma) switched under program control LT1521
- 3.3 volts, 50 ma, switched under program control LT1761
- 4.096 volts reference (low current) switched under
program control LT1790-4
- Low power consumption SLEEP modes, 50 microamps
- Operating current, 16 ma.
- 6 microamp standby option is available through external
control of the main regulator.
Basic Stamp 2pe is a
registered tradmark of Parallax Corporation
OWL2pe is often used with a breakout board. The breakout board
plugs into the top of the OWL2pe core as shown in the photo to the
left, or, the OWL2pe core can plug in on top of a larger terminal
board as shown in the photo below left. The top board shown to the
left combines some of the analog and digital signals on
input terminals, with the terminals on 0.15" spacing. This
arrangement is perfect for smaller installations. The OWL2pe and
smallest topboard fits in a 2" x 2.5" x 1.25" Rose enclosure, seen
below right with terminals on 0.1" spacing.
The photo below right shows the OWL2pe core as part of an OEM
project, a particle monitor.
Click here to download a description of available topboards: